Monday, August 29, 2011
We always keep searching for vrath recipes.i.e a no onion garlic recipe. Here is one of the recipes which is so yummy you guys will love it as much as we do i guess.
potatoes - 5-6 medium sized
green chilles - 1-2
ginger - 1/2tsp
tomato - 1 large
coconut grates - 1.5 tbsp
coriander seeds - 2 tsp
cumin seeds -2 tsp
dry red chillies -4-5
turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
chilly powder - 1tsp
hing powder - 2 pinch
tamarind paste -1/2 tsp
jaggary - 1 tsp
oil - 2 tsp
1.Dry roast dry chillies ,coriander and 1tsp of coriander for about 1-2 mins and keep aside.
2. Add 2-3 drop of oil in a pan and roast the peanuts.
3. Add peanuts,coconut and the roasted items into the blender and blend till it forms a smooth paste.
4. Chop up the potato and cook it and keep aside. Puree the tomato and keep ready.
5. In a large pan add 1 tsp of oil ,add cumin and and on a medium heat wait until the cumin [jeera] just starts to splutter. Then add green chillies and finely grated ginger then saute for 1 min. Then add the paste and saute for another 3-4 mins.
6. Now add tomato paste and tamarind paste to the mix and saute for another 3-4 mins.
7 . Add chilly powder,turmeric powder and hing . Now add the cooked potato with the water. Add salt, jaggary and enough water to bring the gravy to desired consistancy.
8. Simmer and cook for 5-6 mins. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
9. Serve with warm chapthi or rice.Enjoy....
Thursday, August 25, 2011
Shunti which is called aardraka in sanskrit has avery good medicinal quality.
it help in reducing kapha, increases appetite,healps in healing ajeerna,helps to cure the distress caused due to flatulance or the gas problem,anorexia .Hence we havyaka people use it in form of a simple side dish called thambuli. This is used at the beginning of a meal to increase the appetite as well as to enhance the digestion.
Ginger - 1 inch chopped
curds - 1.5 cups
Fresh coconut grates - 1/4 cup
jeera/ cumin - 1/2 tsp
curry leaves - 3-4 torn
salt - as per taste
water - 1 cup
ghee/ oil - 1/2 tsp
1. Take coconut ,ginger in a blender and blend it into a fine paste. If you are using frozen coconut then try adding 2-3 almonds to the coconut while blending this with give it the original flavor of a fresh coconut.
2.Now whip the curds with water and make buttermilk. Add this to the paste made out of ginger and coconut. Add the salt as per taste.
3.Now for tempering add ghee /oil .Here i have used ghee for added flavor and aroma.
to that add jeera [cumin] and when it splutters or slightly changes the color add curry leaves and add it to the mixture .
4.Serve with warm rice and enjoy.
Thursday, August 18, 2011
This is a lovely curry made up of cooked whole masoor dal. Its rich in protiens , vit-B and lots of nutrition. This will be a good option for ones who are under weight watching diet. Its very easy to prepare and needs very less ingredients.
masoor dal - 1.5 cups
onion - 1 large
tomato - 1 medium sized
coriander leaves - 1/2 bunch [1/2 cup chopped]
green chillies - 2 large
ginger - 1 inch
garlic - 2 large cloves
garam masala - 1/2 tsp
chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
cumin[jeera]seeds - 1 tsp
oil - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
sugar - 1 tsp
1. Soak the masoor dal in enough water over night. Cook them in pressure cooker until tender.I cooked for 3 whistle .
2. Now take coriander,chillies ,garlic,ginger in a small blender and make a paste out of it adding little bit of water.
3. In a non stick pan add 1 tsp of oil. Just when the oil heats up add the cumin seeds. When the seeds starts to splutters add the finely chopped onions and fry till it turns slightly brown on the edges.
4. Then add the green paste and fry for around 2-3 mins or until the raw smell goes off.
5. Now add the cooked masoor dal and bring this to a boil by mixing everything in the pan.
6. Now add all the masala powder with turmeric powder ,adjust the salt as per taste .
7. Add sugar and simmer and cook for another 8- 10 mins.
8. Serve hot with garnished coriander leaves on the top.It goes well when served with warm roti , poories or even plain rice.
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
A busy lady will be very happy with a single dish and easy new ways to use the left overs of previous night. This will save some precious time,energy and don't talk about the taste where there is not even a bit of compromise. In fact this will taste even better than the pin wheel. No really the party pin wheels were really a super hit .I have converted this awesome pin wheels to another superb dish. These enchiladas are no less. They are totally a new dish out of the same left over pinwheels but much yummy and cheesy goodness. Believe it my friends they taste much better that what it appears. I coud'nt even resist to click some shots just jumped into it and had them . Its one of my favorite comfort food . So here it is....
pin wheels - 16
pasta sauce - 1 cup+ 2tbsp
cheese - 1/4 cup
1. Prepare the pin wheels as said in my prior post and set aside.
2. Take a glass baking dish and place about half the sauce in the bottom and spread it uniformly.
3. Place the pinwheels over them and again pour the remaining sauce over the pin wheels .
4. Now sprinkle the cheese all over the top and bake in a preheated oven in 360 deg for another 10-12 mins.
5. Remove and enjoy when its still hot with garlic bread on the side. Easy and a new dish out of the left over ones.
This is a recipe what i found online and was a winner the first time i made them for my sons 3rd b'day party. I wanted a simple, easy and no hassel recipe which would work for kids as well as adults .So was going through and found this one. Really must say it was easy as well as yummm..... What more can i say it all was empty in no time.I had made so much and even the left overs can be converted into a totally new dish believe it or not i'll share both with all my blogger and the friends who follow my blog.
sun dried tomato&
rosted red pepper tortillas - 8 count
cream cheese - 16 oz
ranch mix - 1/2 pack[small]
shredded 3 cheese mix - 1/2 cup
red and green bell peppers - 3/4 cup each
black olives - 16
tinned jalapeneo peppers -2 .5 tbsp
spring onions - 2-3
1. Mix all the finely chopped veggies ,ranch mix,cream cheese,3 cheese mix or you can even use mozzarella cheese into a uniform blend and keep aside.
2. Place the tortillas on the counter top and divide the cheese mixture equally among all 8 tortilla and then spread them into a thin layer.
3. Now roll them tightly and cover them in a aluminium foil and refrigerate them for over night or atleast for 6 hrs.
4. Then remove the foil and cut them into 1 inch slice and place them in the platter to be served.
5. This will last for about a week in the fridge.
This is a healthy and creamy dish which can be made in a few minutes . Its very simple yet there is no compromise in taste.
This is the best way to get your kids eat the grains and pulses with a bit of green veggie without a complaint. This goes well with roti or just rice. Has a touch of southern India. Best for the once who are on weight watching diet too.It has very less calories and rich in fiber and vitamin-B too.
whole masoor dhal - 1.5 cup
tomato diced - 1 medium sized
onion diced - 1/2 cup
green chillies - 2 sarano
coriander leaves - 2-3 tbsp chopped[1/2 bunch]
garlic cloves - 2 big ones
ginger - about 1/2 inch
garam masala - 1/2 tsp
cumin seeds - 1 tsp
turmeric - 1/2 tsp
sugar - 1/2 tsp
oil - 1 tsp
1. Soak the dhal over night and then cook till tender and keep aside.
2. Add freshly chopped coriander leaves,ginger,garlic and green chillies into a blender to make a paste out of it.
3. In a non stick pan add oil and just when heated add cumin just when that starts to splutter add chopped onions and fry till it turn slightly brown.
4. Then add tomatoes and cook for another 3-4 mins
5. To the fried onions add the coriander paste and fry for another 2-3 mins till the raw smell goes off.
6. Now add the fully cooked masOor dhal,allow it to come to a boil. Then add salt, turmeric powder, garam masala,1/2 tsp of sugar.
7. Add enough water to get desired consistancy.
8. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with poori's , phulka or simple white rice .