Friday, December 15, 2006

Bagara Baingan




This is a recipe from South India ,more famous in Andraparadesh.Its a spicy dish with the richness of peanut and creamy coconut blended with a bunch of different spices.A mouthwatering curry which all will love to have.Its also called as Enne Gai in our place.

Ingredients:
___________

Small Eggplant - 15[ slit into four till 2/3 lenght]
Onion - 1.5 cups
Red chillies - 8-9
Coriander - 2 tsp
Methi seeds -3/4 tsp
Cumin - 2 tsp
Black sesame - 1 tsp
Coconut -2 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 stick
Clove - 3-4
Pepper corn -3-4
Oil - 2/3 cup
curry leaves - 6-7
Turmeric powder-1 tsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Tamarind - 1/2 tsp
Jaggery - 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste




Method:
________
1.Wash clean and slit open the eggplants.
2.In a plate mix salt,turmeric and red chilly powder.Then using finger & smear this mixture to the innersurface of the egg plants and keep aside.
3.Now in a pan take 4 tsp of oil and add cumin to it.When it starts to splutter add onion and fry till it turns slightly brown.
4.Then add egg plant and add 1 tsp of oil and saute so that each egg plant is coated with oil.Then cook in medium flame for about 10 min with closed lid.
5.Occasionally saute it.Then when the eggplant becomes soft ,remove from the stoveand keep aside .
6.Now in a pan take coriander seeds, 2 tsp of oil,sesame seeds,methi seeds,cinnamon,clove,peppercorns,dry chilliesand fry for about 2 mins
7.Then remove it and add 3tsp of peanuts after removing the peal/skin and fry till it turns slightly brown.Now blend all the friedspices with groundnuts and coconut ,adding enough water to form a smooth paste.
8.Now add all the eggplants and the paste together in the pan and add turmeric powder about 1/2 tsp , jaggery ,salt as pertaste,curryleaves and simmer and cook for 10 mins .Saute occasionally.This is ready to be served.Enjoy this dish with
Paratas or Makki ki roti.

5 comments:

Lakshmik said...

Bagara Baingan is an all time favorite at parties I guess. Nice recipe.

Seema Bhat said...

Soumya nice dish and one of my favs too...i love your oval shaped dish server as well
cheers
Seema

Vinutha said...

Hey Sowmya... I made bagara bengan today.. I added a little jaggery too.. It came out almost like our menaskayi....

Naina Sudarshan said...

this is my favourite too. But me and hubby both can not eat Bengan because of allergy. So I always miss this. But today I tried it with Okra and my hubby loved it and finished everything himself. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sowmya,

I finally tried the Bagara Baingan...and my husband just loved it....and so did I.
Great dish for the family...only I added a little more peanuts as I just enjoy them in my food.

tx and happy cooking,