Monday, December 18, 2006

Patrade (Patra)



Here is the recipe from South India.This is a well known Konkani dish which is my favorite too.Believe me friends you will love it once you try it out.I can skip my meals days together for this patra dish.Yummy ........


Ingredients:
_________
Patra leaves[colocasia]-10-15
rice -2 cups
tur dal -1/2 cup
coconut -1 cup
dry chillies -15
Hing -1/2 tsp[if powder]
Coriander seeds -3 tsp
salt













Method:
________
1.Soak rice and dal in warm water for about 2 hrs.
2.Fry coriander and chillies in 1tsp of oil for about 2 minutes.
3.Then blend the rice and dal with coconut,chillies ,coriander into a rough batter.
4.Add hing ,and salt to this.
5.Wash ,clean and wipe the leaves,then place the larger leaf at the bottom and pile up the small ones one after the other by coating the batteron the surface.Pile up about 3-4 leaves












6.Then keep folding it like a hand kerchief and coat each edge as you do this and then finally the outer surface. and cook in the cooker like idles.
7.Cook for about 1/2 hr without the whistle[weight]
8.Remove and eat with a little coconut oil drisseled over it.It also tastes good with curd rice or anything you wish.

7 comments:

Vinutha said...

Wow Sowmya...my mouth is watering.. its so long since I had pathrode.. My mom used to fry it in dosa pan after cutting.. It used to be very very tasty... Now that I have the recipe, I will definitely try it...Thanks a lot for the recipe :-)

Seema Bhat said...

Soumya:
yummy yummy pathrode...why don't you parcel me some. Man my mouth is watering just looking at them

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hey Vinutha.Thanks well even i like it that way also.Lok above its for you.hee. enjoy.

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

hey akka,promise to prepare it when you come home.wish i could sent it to you right away

Unknown said...

Hey Soumya,

US nalli, patra leaves sigutha. Let me know, I would love to prepare this dish.

I am also a BAMS graduate from RGUHS, are you practiceing here. I was not able to.. anyways, thanks for the receipe.

Anonymous said...

No Tamarind???

Snehal said...

I wanted to eat this so desperately when I was pregnant
And now that I got the leaves in Russos as well as this recepie. I am making this today
I remember mom using whole moong instead and I suppose tamarind too
By the way Soumya, coincidentally I wanted to name my daughter Soumya but anyways it didn't win max votes