Monday, February 19, 2007

Jackfruit Sambar


I love most of the veggies but there are some which i love the most.One among such veggie is raw tender jackfruit.It my hubbys favorite too.I prepare a lot of dishes out of it and sambar is the best among them.Hmm it tastes yumm... with rice hooo just so temting.I just cant tell you.

Ingredients:
----------
Jackfruit- 1 Small tin
Sprouted green gram-1 cup
Coconut- 3 tbsp
Coriander seeds-2.5 tsp
Methi seeds-1 tsp
urad dal-1.5 tsp
jeera- 1 tsp
Hing- 1 pinch
Chillies-8 large dry
Tamrind paste-1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Curry leaves -5-6
oil-2 tsp
Salt as per taste


Method:
-------
1.Wash the tinned jack fruit properly and cook them with a pinch of salt and chilly powder for 5 mins and keep aside.
2.take a pan add 1 tsp of oil add cumin,coriander seeds,urad dal, methi,chillies and hing and fry till the urad dal turns slightly brown.then add the coconut to it and blend into a smooth paste adding enough water and tamarind
3.Add this mixture to the vessel with jackfruit ,add sprouted green gram and add enough salt and bring a couple of boil .
4.Take a small pan and add mustard seeds curry leaves and broken chilly to it and just when it starts spluttering add it to the curry.
5.Enjoy with basmathi rice ....

22 comments:

TNL said...

Jackfruit is something I have never tried..must look for it next time..I love trying out new additions to Sambhar..! your recipe looks perfect!
I also liked your baingan bhartha recipe!
trupti

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Trupthi,
Thanks dear.

Seema Bhat said...

Soumya,
Gujje sambar garam kantha iddu. Aanu monne maditte neenu heliddu heli tin thandu madidde anude. Kushi aathu engoge.
Luv
Akka

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hey akka,
Appa laika avthalada.Gonthe avthille tin inda heli alda engogusa ista.

Sri said...

Jackfruit sambhar...never tried that veg with sambhar..but i love jackfruit. Your baigan bharta looks tasty.

Viji said...

Nice dish Soumya, which we rarely prepare. viji

FH said...

Halasinakai!!! I loved cooking with that too but I dread canned ones here.They always smell like metal.

Sowmya,Seema matte neevu nijavada akka,thangi anta gottiralilla nanage!!Tumba kushi aytu!:))Lot of love betn you sisters.

Loved the Sambhar recipe too.

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

"GOD ONLY KNOWS" from where and how you come out with such exotic dishes.

My wife simply loves raw tender jackfruit bhaji and whenever we visit Kokan region, she makes it a point to enjoy it

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Sri,
Do give a try.It tastes very good.Thanks.

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi viji,
thanks dear

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Asha,
Try chaokoh Company tins.they are good.But you need to wash properly.Thumba kushi aythu neenu kannada dali comment bardadu.Thanks.navu ibbaru nijja akka thangiyaru.hmm

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hello Harekirshnaji,
Thanks a lot for your compliments.I admire it.Well all these are my mom's recipe.She taught me to cook.so whatever new i cook also the credit goes to my mom.

swapna susarla said...

hi soumya
nice dish..we do curry with this.nevr heard of sambar with jackfruit..will try this time if i got it ...

Nidhi said...

Jackfruit is my favourite, but never tried that with sambhar. The one that you have made is looking just perfect to go with Idli or dosa or may be just have like soup. OH! I love it...

Manjula said...

I love jackfruit raw and ripe. I guess its season for jackfruits now back in Dakshina Kannada. I miss the whole fun of slicing and peeling the messy gooey jackfruits :(

Jackfruit sambar is something I have never tried. I have already soaked the green grams for soaking :)

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Swapna,
Thanks dear.You need to give a try then .

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hey Nidhi,
You are absolutely right dear.Give a try and lemme know.Jackfruit is mu favorite too

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Manjula,
I just love your enthu...you are simple cute..Haa do give a try and tell me how diid you find it.Enjoy..

Anonymous said...

This is very new to me. We make dishes out of jackfruit but not sambar. Your Mix veg looks great and delicous

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Padmaja,
Thanks dear.

Vini K said...

Never tried jackfruit in anything except curries.Thanks for sharing the recipe soumya..will try this sambar when I get it.

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Wow, this looks cool. Amazing how many variations one can make with sambhar alone!!!