potatoes - 2 medium sized
Carrots - 1 large
Beetroot - 1 medium size
hotdog buns - 4-5
Day old bread / only crust - heaped 1 cup [ 4-5 sclices]
Bell peppers - 1 small
Onions - 1/2 cup chopped
Garlic - 3-4 cloves
red chilles - 2-3
Garam masala - 1tsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Jeera - 1 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1tsp
Soya flour - 1/2 cup
Wheat flour - 1 cups
Oil - 2tbsp
1. Wash and peal potatoes,carrots and beets . Slice then to thin stripes and steam cook ,keep aside for cooling.
2. In a pan take about a tsp of oil,then when it becomes hot add jeera . When the jeera starts to splutter add onions ,ginger, garlic,coriander seeds keep mixing for about 2 mins till the raw smell goes off.
3. Now using a blender or food processor blend the vegetables, with the small chunks of bread and the above onion mixture to a chunky paste.
4. To the above paste add the 2 flours , enough salt, dry masala and make a soft dough without adding water.
5. Grease the vessel in which you want to steam these dougs properly. Take a big lime sized ball of the dough and shape them in sausage shapes and place slowly in the greases vessel and steam cook till done.it will take about 8-10 minutes to get cooked properly. It will change in color and when you stick in a knife it should come out clear.
6. Allow it to cool and then in a non stick pan add a few drops of oil and saute these sausage about 3 at a time till the outer surface becomes a bit charred and crusty.
8.You can make this sausage ahead of time and freeze it. It can also be used in many more dishes or yummy recipes like fried rice singapore style or in north indian curries which will be my future post. so do not forget to make in large quantity as it will be a time saver for your next dishes
1. If you don't have fresh bread you can use old bread kept in freezer. i save the bread crust in freezer and use them as bread crumps or as a binding agent in cutlet, hara bara kabaab etc.even here i have used just the bread edges and end slices.. one more use for the wasted edges in bread sandwiches so dont forget to save them.
2. If you dont have soya flour you can use only wheat or maida. You can even use only soya flour . In all the ways it will taste great. But just adjust the flour to form a shape able mass.