Friday, September 2, 2011
Chouthi is a festival which is celebrated all over India. W e celebrated in a grand manner at my place. Various savory and sweet dishes r prepared in every house. Most of them even keep lord ganesha's idols ,decorate mantapa's prepare naividyam like panchakajjaya, moodaka, ladoo,chakkuli , kodubale, vadai and lots more. Same with us .We enjoy to prepare and have the deep fried goodies, variety of sweets and crunchy savory without any guilt in the name of ganesha..... so GANAPATHI BAPPA MOREYA......MANGALA MOORUTHI MORIYA..
For the dough:-
All purpose flour/ maida - 2cups
Sooji [fine] - 1/4 cup
Ghee - 1 tbsp
For the stuffing:-
coconut grates - 1.5 cup
Jaggery [powdered] - 3/4 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
oil - for deep frying
1. Take all the ingredients required to prepare the dough in a large bowl and need it into a dough just like we do for poori adding water little by little and keep aside.
2. In a pan add ghee and just when it melts add jaggery and just when it melts add coconut to it and keep stirring to combine all the ingredients.
3. Now continue to stir until all the water evaporates and it thickens a little. Allow it to cool.
4. Now roll out small balls out of the dough previously prepared almost size of big goose berry .
5. Roll the ball to thin small poories and place about a small spoon of stuffing and bring all the edges together and seal them .
6. Keep them in a tray covered with wet thin cotton towel to prevent drying out and cracking.
7. When all the modakas are ready for frying in a heavy deep dish pan, add oil enough to cover the modaka and fry them till it turns golden brown.
8. Remove on to a paper towel and once cooled store in a airtight container . Will remain fresh for about a 4-5 days.