Thursday, March 8, 2007

Jeeguje Melara



Hey friends i'm back with my last recipe out of this bread fruit..hmm feel very bad thats its empty now.Will go for breadfruit search very soon.This is typical south karnataka recipe .Its also called majjige huli as we add sour buttermilk to it. Thus the name.It very simple and the best recipe amongst all i feel.This is my hubbys altime favorite.The previous day we had been to temple and we got fresh coconut as prasadam.So prepared this immediately the next day.My mom used to prepare this with freshly grated coconut hmmm...i can smell it now too...the memory is still so fresh.Believe it or not he enjoyed this so much that the whole dish which i had prepared in a 2 litre vessel got empty in the noon itself.Hmm must confess it came out so well all credit goes to the creammy breadfruit.Simple yet a tasty dish .Do give a try friends.

Ingredients:-
----------
Bread fruit- 3 cups
Coconut grates- 3/4 cup
Green chillies-3-4
Buttermilk- 3/4 cup
Mustards-1 tsp
Dry chilly -1
Methi seeds- 1/4 tsp
Oil- 1 tsp
Curry leaves-4-5
Jaggery- 1/2 spoon[optional]
Salt


Ingredients:-
------------
1.Blend the coconut and 2 green chillies into a fine paste and keep aside.
2.Cut the bread fruit ,slit 2 chillies lenght wise and season with chilly powder and salt ad cook properly until tender.
3.Then add the smooth paste of coconut to the cooked breadfruit and mix properly.then add 1 cup of sour buttermilk or even curds would do.But beat the curds preoperly before adding.
4.Now season with enough salt and then just when it statrs to boil swith off the heat.[Do not over heat as it will curdle and will not taste thick and tasty otherwise]
5.In a small pan add oil add mustatrd seeds and methi to it and just when it starts to splutter add curry leaves and pinch of chilly powder and add this mixture to the curry.
6.Enjoy with basmathi or sonamasoori rice..

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Soumya,

I chanced upon this blog today.I'm a konkani from Kerala and we make this dishtoo.. but not with breadfruit, we use Kuwale(ash gourd), taro and potato.The recipe is the same otherwise.

Nisha

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Nisha,
Nice to see your comment.Thanks for stopping by and posting a comment.Is it do you guys also prepare this dish.Cool..

FH said...

Yummy!! I love Majjige Huli.I wish I could get that Jeegujje Sowmya.All your dishes look great.Sadly,I ran out of the that veg,right?:))

Chickoo said...

Hi Soumya,
I am commenting on your site for the first time. Where can I get breadfruit? Is it available in Korean markets? I need to try this out, it looks sooo apealing. I love melogara!! BTW I am from Virginia, however originally from Bangalore. I love visiting your sis's and sup's websites.

Deepa

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Asha,
Sorry for you that you cant get this in your stores.Thanks for the compliment

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Deepa,
thanks for dropping by and passing a comment.Happy to know that you visit my sis and supi's blogs.Well i got it from my desi store/indian store.Try out if you can get.You even get it in the frozen section.well i have used fresh one as it was available for me.

Manjula said...

Jeegujje fest is still on huh? I envy all you guys who live in San Jose.
I've tried those frozen ones..they are too tender and dont absorb any flavours..they kind of get mushy like potatoes. Fresh is always the best.

swapna susarla said...

looking like u are a great fan of jeegujji..isn't it? the dish is mouth watering!!

Sia said...

ah!!! baili neeru battu soumya:)

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Manjula,
Why dont you just add them at the end.I do that with frozen suran/yam.They dont get mushy then.Thanks dear.

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Swapna,
yup i have mentioned at the begining itself.Me and my family are all fans of this wonderful veggie....Thanks its yummy very yummy...Do give a try

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Suppi,
Hmm eega actually enagude ashe avthu noduvaga ..heee..hee

Viji said...

Interesting Soumya and looks so yummy. Viji

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Viji,
thanks dear

Richa said...

Hi Soumya, I've never tasted bread fruit, will check out it's availability out here. Looks pretty tempting.
Have a great wknd!

Anonymous said...

Wow ! I must try to find that breadfruit! I don't think I've had it before-all those wonderful recipes from you, Soumya and Supriya has posted one recipe using that too. All your recipes look good, Soumya.

Hope you are doing well, dear.

Anonymous said...

That's sooo sad, looks like u were hooked on to bread fruit. Nice pictures.

Anonymous said...

Soumya, you are make me homesick by posting all those breadfruit. I can't tell how much I miss it. Since my husband is allergic to it, I don't cook it, but I love it so much.

Anonymous said...

Hi Soumya..
I am ur sis's friend.happened to bump into ur blog thro seema's blog n wat i see is so many recipes of jeeguje.one of my fav veggie..i love jeegujes n lovely recipes u have put up n all of them r so tempting :-).jst waiting to get jeegujes so tht i can try all ur recipes..
swathi

Springbird said...

hey Soumya,

Whenever iam in search of a recipe i google and ur blog pops first...so happy to say u have a nice blog.I wanted to know wat's this breadfruit called in Karnataka, if u know.was just curious.Thanks and keep blogging.