Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Whole Masoor Dhal Curry
This is a healthy and creamy dish which can be made in a few minutes . Its very simple yet there is no compromise in taste.
This is the best way to get your kids eat the grains and pulses with a bit of green veggie without a complaint. This goes well with roti or just rice. Has a touch of southern India. Best for the once who are on weight watching diet too.It has very less calories and rich in fiber and vitamin-B too.
whole masoor dhal - 1.5 cup
tomato diced - 1 medium sized
onion diced - 1/2 cup
green chillies - 2 sarano
coriander leaves - 2-3 tbsp chopped[1/2 bunch]
garlic cloves - 2 big ones
ginger - about 1/2 inch
garam masala - 1/2 tsp
cumin seeds - 1 tsp
turmeric - 1/2 tsp
sugar - 1/2 tsp
oil - 1 tsp
1. Soak the dhal over night and then cook till tender and keep aside.
2. Add freshly chopped coriander leaves,ginger,garlic and green chillies into a blender to make a paste out of it.
3. In a non stick pan add oil and just when heated add cumin just when that starts to splutter add chopped onions and fry till it turn slightly brown.
4. Then add tomatoes and cook for another 3-4 mins
5. To the fried onions add the coriander paste and fry for another 2-3 mins till the raw smell goes off.
6. Now add the fully cooked masOor dhal,allow it to come to a boil. Then add salt, turmeric powder, garam masala,1/2 tsp of sugar.
7. Add enough water to get desired consistancy.
8. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with poori's , phulka or simple white rice .