Monday, November 14, 2011
batani gashi [ konkani style]
onion - 1 large+ 1 medium
garlic - 4-5large cloves
green chillies - 2-3
black pepper - 10-12
coriander leaf - 1/2cup
salt - as per taste
cooked green beans-3 cups
water - 1 cup
jaggary - 1.5 tsp
tamarind - small gooseberry size
cumin seeds - 1 tsp
oil - 1 tsp
1. Chop up onions into 4 large chunks and roast them over the rack with garlic cloves over high flame.I have used the grilling rack which i use for fluffing up phulka's. Grill until they turn blackish at the edge . Allow it to cool down.
2. Chop up the coriander leaf and green chillies. Dry roast the black pepper until you hear the cracking sound.
3.Remove the pepper corns and in the same pan add green chillies and coriander leaves and simply saute them without adding any oil for a minute or two.
4. Add everything together in a blender and make a fine paste out of all the roasted ingredients, tamarind and greens and keep aside.
5.Now pressure cook the green peas until just done and keep aside.
6. Chop one medium sized onion .
7. In a deep nonstick pan add 1 tsp of oil,when the oil is heated add cumin seeds and wait for 15-20 sec.
8. Then add chopped onion and saute till it turns slightly transparent.
9. Now add the cooked peas,add the paste and saute for few minutes. Add jaggery ,adjust salt as per taste.
10. Simmer and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Serve with warm phulkas or rice as you wish.