Friday, February 16, 2007

Baingan Bartha


I and my hubby both love Eggplant a lot.So i usually prepare this veggie atleast once a week in differnt ways.One amongst the best recipe is baingan bartha.I just love the fleshy eggplant with the richness of potatoes and the spicy chilly with varoius other spices blended together in this dish.This goes well with various dosa,chapathi,parata or even simple rice too.

Ingredients:
-----------
Egg plant- 1 large
Potato- 2 medium sized
Tomato- 1 large
Chillies-3 large
cumin- 1tsp
Kitchen king masala-1 tsp
garam masala-1/2 tsp
Chilly powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste-1 tsp
Onion- 1large
Oil- 2tsp
Coriander leaves for garnishing




Method:-
---------
1.Smear oil to the eggplant and make small slits all over the egg plant and then roast it in a grill over the burner or electric coil.
2.Cook the eggplant till they turn soft and look burnt all over by turning allover to get uniform cooking. remove the burnt skin and mash the pulp and keep aside.Roughly mash the poataoes after removing the skin and keep ready.
3.Cook 2 medium sized potato and keep aside.Chop up a big onion and keep aside.
4.Now take a heavy bottomed pan ,add oil and cumin seeds and wait till it just splutters,then add onions and saute till it turns slightly brown,then add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.Then add tomato and saute for 3-4 mins
5.Add the eggplant pulp to the onions add enough water,and stir it.Then add all the seasoning one by one and constantly stir it.
6.add enough water to get it to required consistancy.
7.Then remove it from fire garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roties.

17 comments:

FH said...

Hey! Guess wat? I made Bharwa Baingan today with akki rotti.I love this dish too.Thanks for the recipe.

Manjula said...

Baigan Barta looks delicious. Nice pictures.
Kitchen king..I am reading this for the 3rd time now. Got to put it in my grocery list next time.

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Asha,
Is it .such a sweet coinscidence i say.Enjoy.I too love akki rotti.My mouth is watering.hmmm

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Manjula,
Thanks dear.You must have a pack in your pantry for sure i say.Its really good.

Viji said...

Hi Soumya, very nice dish. Came back. some problem in posting my blog. Will start soon. Viji

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hey viji,
Thanks dear.Missed you.

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

What is akki roti ?
We eat Baigan ka Barta with Bajari Roti. well, We do not add Potato and Tomato.

We add Cashewnuts and Kishmish also

Anonymous said...

I love baingan bhartha though I don't use potato in my recipe nor some of the masalas you've used. Boy! I MUST buy that kitchen king masala - I see it in so may of your recipes, I'm curious now!
The picture looks yummy! :)

USHA said...

Hi Soumya,

Recipe looks delicious....Thanks for sharing

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Harekrishnaji,
Akki roti is made out of rice thats all.Either made out of rice powder or but grinding soaked rice .Yup Not all add tomato and potato.My husband says they add in north and he wanted to eat it that way.So here it is and it tastes more better i feel.I have tried both the ways.

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Vani,
Hey then you need to try this way i say .It tastes totallly different.Hey you need to have it dear.Do get one next time and try it out.i Love the flavour what it adds to my recipes.

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Usha,
Thanks dear

Anonymous said...

Never tried potato in barta, sounds good, I should try sometime.

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi Padmaja,
If so you gotta try this way.Enjoy

SM said...

Hi,

I love your blog. I am opening up a cooking blog too and wondered if you would share how you added the scrolling screen on the right side with pictures.

Thank you,
Maha.

Anonymous said...

I tried it with the potato - very good!

Unknown said...

When do the potatoes go in? Also should we not boil the potatoes and then mash them?